The SMS market is constantly evolving as businesses try to find new ways to connect with their audience. SMS marketing has proven to be more beneficial to companies in recent years, as the mobile spectrum broadens and new technologies are built. Below are stats regarding SMS usage and how they relate to other types of advertising. Find out more about mobile marketing here.
- There are over 320 Million wireless subscribers in the US
- 40% of consumers own smartphones
- Only 43% of smartphone users use their phone to make voice calls but over 70% of smartphone users text message
- 91% of all US mobile users keep their phones within arms reach at all times 90% of all text messages are read within 3 minutes of their delivery
- The average response time it takes to respond a text message is 90 seconds
- 97% of text messages are opened, while only 22% of emails are opened
- 30% of consumers interact with a brand via text message
- Mobile coupons are ten times more likely to be redeemed than traditional coupons.
- 57% of respondents said they would be interested in opting in to a brand’s SMS loyalty program. (Hipcricket)
While the SMS market is ever changing at a rapid rate, QR Codes are becoming more popular. While they are not as widely known or used as SMS, they are still an efficient way to advertise a product as technology progresses. Below are stats about QR Codes and how they play a role in today’s society. For more information on what QR Codes are, how they function, and how simple they are to use, click here.
- 72% of consumers say they have seen a QR Code, but nearly 30% do not know what it is
- One in every five American smartphone users scanned a QR Code in a retail store in 2011.
- One third of QR Code scanners did so in response to a coupon or offer.
- One quarter of QR Code scanners did so to receive information on an event.
- QR code scans increased 300% in 2011 over 2010 (ScanLife)
- QR Code uptake has increased 4589% from early 2010 to early 2011, and code usage jumped 617% from January to December 2011 in top 100 magazines (Nellymoser)
- 11 out of 50 Fortune companies are incorporating QR Codes into their marketing strategy
- 57% of those who scanned QR Codes in 2011 did so at home on their mobile devices